Chevron

8/26/2016

Learning How to Say No

"Learning how to say No".....

Well it is easier said than done when you grew up with a mom who was the person you went to for everything.. even if you needed a spoon, she probably had one in her purse. I think I got some of her "skills" for lack of a better word. I don't do much, but in the grand scheme of things in my world, I do more than my fair share. I am a control freak-- but only when I am having to do something for crafts. Everything else, you just can have that, I am only interested in the crafts....

Last year, I really started to notice that I was getting run down and that everyone (in my world that is a lot of people) was relying on me to do all of their duties with my MOPS group. I felt as though I was the only reliable one, so therefore I had to be at the meetings 45 minutes early to prepare....  I did that every meeting for the entire year, except for 1 time when I was late. On top of that, which only happened twice a month, I was starting to work at the local "Parents Day Out" (which is the same as Mother's Day Out, but we like to be different at our school!) I wasn't doing that full time- just when I was needed--which was a lot. Now in their defense, I did say YES a lot.

My point? I said YES to a lot, therefore, making me even more dependable. It wore me down. I was low on energy, low on caring and I was low on faith in my spiritual walk. It hasn't been sunny skies with unicorns bouncing around since I started letting go, but it has lifted a weight off of my shoulders. The Lord wants us to do things that we are passionate about, but he also knows our limits & wants us to acknowledge them as well.

The scripture that I read this morning comes from Colossians 3:17

Whatever you do in 
word or deed, do 
all in the name of
the Lord. 

This year we are about to start back up at MOPS and I will say that I have let go of a lot of responsibility and I am feeling really good about it. I feel like if I hadn't backed down some, I would have been stretched thin. This group is not just for me, but for my little Jay Jay (thanks to his cousins, aunt & uncle for that nickname--it kind of stuck with me too) as well. He enjoys it. I needed to slow down for him. 

So, whatever you do, remember that God put you there, he just wants you to set the boundaries in your passions. And if you must, say NO. 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment